Here you will find recipes from the different countries
CREAM CHEESE AND RYE BREAD DESSERT
Desserts made with left-over bread are known and loved by many nations. In Estonia besides white bread, rye bread can be used in desserts as well.
Rye bread layer:
· 100 g butter
· 300 g hardened rye bread
· 3 tbsp sugar
· 2 tsp cinnamon
· 2 ½ cups blueberry jam
Cream cheese layer:
· 200 g cream cheese
· 200 g sour cream
· 2tbsp kama
· 5 tbsp sugar
· 1 tsp vanilla sugar
· For the bread layer, coarsely grate hardened rye bread and brown it in butter.
· Add sugar and cinnamon. Set aside to cool completely.
· To make cream cheese layer, mix together cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and vanilla sugar.
· Take a glass bowl and cover bottom with a layer of the rye bread mixture.
· Spread a layer of jam over the bread mixture.
· Then add one layer of the cream cheese mixture over jam.
· Decorate with blueberries.
· Serve immediately or put it for a few hours in the fridge.
BARLEY FLOUR- CURD CAKE /BARLEY SCONE OF SOUR MILK CURD
· 125 g sour milk curd
· 2,5 dl milk
· 1 egg
· 1 dl wheat flour
· 0,5 tsp baking soda
· 1 tsp salt
· 1tbsp sugar or honey
· 2 tbsp (50 g) butter
· 2,5 dl barley flour
· Split the egg and add curd to it.
· Then add melted butter and milk into the mass.
· Add salt and sugar (or honey) and stir it.
· Then add flours with baking soda.
· Stir the whole dough even.
· Now the dough mixed ready to be put inside the mould greased with butter. Take the melted butter and put a little at the bottom of the mould and using a brush grease the whole mould. Dusted over with flour.
· Bake KARASK in the oven at the temperature of 180 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Serve with butter.
A dish made of cracked barley will be completed fairly easily and tastes incredible. A little tomatoes, a little creamy and perfectly suited for the refreshment.
The amount to one
Preparation time: 40-45 minutes
The best time to eat: immediately
Impact Waist: one decent nutritious lunch
· 1 dl cracked barley
· 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter
· 1 tablespoon tomato paste
· 1 clove of garlic and 1 onion
· 0.5 dl whipping cream
· 3-4 dl broth
· 50 g chicken
· 1 handful of chopped chives
· Wash the cracked barley under running water.
· Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan. Add meat and onion and brown it for 3-4 minutes. Add barley and brown it for 3-4 minutes.
· Add the broth (at the beginning rather than less, and, if necessary, additional sequences to).
· Leave the lid down incubator until barley is tender but still slightly crunchy. It takes 20-30 minutes.
· Add to the pan with minced garlic, tomato paste, cream and chives. If necessary, the salt of the broth is not salty enough.
· Stir and leave for a few minutes under the cover.
Serve with salad.
Recipe Meatballs (Köttbullar)
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon grated onion
150 g minced meat
2 tablespoons whipped eggs (1/2 egg)
2 measuring-spoon (a pinch of) salt
1 measuring-spoon (a pinch of) pepper
1 tablespoon butter/margarine
1. Mix breadcrumbs and water in a bowl and let it swell a couple of minutes.
2. Peel the onion and grate it.
3. Mix minced meat, egg, onion, salt and pepper in the bowl with breadcrumbs.
4. Rince a chopping-board and wet your hands.
5. Form the meat into balls and put them on the chopping-board.
6. Heat the butter/margarine in the pan and let it be slightly brown.
7. Fry the meatballs. Shake the pan so that they will be fried all around
8. Lower the heat and let the meatballs be fried a couple of minutes while you shake the pan.
9. Check that the meatballs are fried through.
Brown gravy (Brun sås)
1 dl milk
1 tablespoon flour
1 dl water
½ stock cube
1 measuring-spoon (a pinch of) pepper
1 teaspoon soya
1. Mix milk and flour in a preparation beaker and shake it so the mixture will be smooth.
2. Boil water and stock cube in a saucepan.
3. Add the thickening during stirring.
4. Add pepper and soya and let it boil while stirring.
5. Let the gravy simmer for 3 minutes, stir now and then.
Lingonberry jam (lingonsylt)
1 kg lingonberry
2 dl water
5 dl granulated sugar
1. Pick over the berries and rinse them.
2. Mix the lingonberries, water and sugar in a saucepan.
3. Let it boil slowly and then simmer at a low temperature for 15-20 minutes. Shake the saucepan now and then.
4. Take the saucepan from the heat. Take away the foam.
5. Stir the jam until cold. Put it in clean pots and put on a lid at once.
6. Keep it cold.
Apple pie (äppelpaj)
3 dl porridge oat
2 dl sugar
½ dl syrup
1 ½ dl flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons milk
1. Put the oven on 175 degrees C.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Take it from the heat. Add all the other ingredients except the apples.
3. Peel, take away the pips from the apple and cut them in thin pieces. Put them in an ovenproof tin. Put the batter over it.
4. Put in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the pie is golden brown.
5. Serve with icecream or custard.
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon potato flour
2 dl milk
½-1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
1. Mix egg, sugar, potato flour and milk.
2. Simmer it in a low temperature while stirring until the custard has thickened. Don’t let it boil.
3. Pour the custard in a bowl or jug and whip until it is cold.
4. Add vanilla sugar for better taste.
(Christmas Eve biscuits)
1000 g flour
120 ml sugar
100 g.poppy seeds
70 ml oil
1.Pour a room temperature water into a bowl and then : yeast, sugar, vanilla, flour, poppy seeds and solt. Mix everything together.
2.Pour an oil and knead everything well.
3.Cover the bowl with a cloth and leave it to stay for an hour.
4.Take the dough out of the bowl and put it on the table which is sprikled with flour. Cut the dough into a finger thick chunks and try to roll it into a very thin „sausage“
5.Cut the „sausages“ into very small pieces, sprinkle with flour. Put them on a baking tray. Get them 1 cm apart on the try for not to stick together.
6.Bake them in temperature around 230 C for about 10-12 min or still they get golden brown.
Try with poppy seed milk.
Curd cheese pancakes
Serves about 25 pancakes
3.500 g curd cheese
375 g sugarį
625 g flour
Pinch of salt
Some oil for frying and 750 g - sour cream.
Mash the curd cheese and add eggs, sugar and salt; add 2/3 of the flour. Knead the dough well and then roll it into a long „sausage“; cut it into a 2-3 cm wide peaces. Roll it into flour and form the round shaped pancake. Firstly fry them on the pan, then bake it in the oven for another 5-7 minutes.
Eat them with a sour cream.